Saturday, June 4, 2022

How to Use Masking to Stamp, and How to Blend Alcohol Markers - Happiness Abounds/Stampin' Blends/Stampin' Up!

Hi there, this is Sarah and I've been playing around with the Stampin' Blends alcohol markers! I thought I'd try to explain how to colour with shading and highlights, and with a paper mask. See below for details!

Tutorial

Step 1. Just stamped a lovely rose from the Happiness Abounds stamp set in Tuxedo Black Memento ink. I used the Stamparatus from Stampin' Up! because it's much easier to stamp and make corrections with it! We need new magnets! They have washi tape on them to make them easier to lift -- but don't put it on too thick or the Stamparatus plate won't shut properly!






Step 2. I placed a Post It note over the stamped rose and stamped on it as well.






Step 3. I cut out the Post It note rose, close to the outlines.




 

Step 4. I taped the Post It rose exactly over the other stamped rose, and taped it down with washi tape that can easily be removed. 





Step 5. With the Post It rose taped in place, I positioned the leaf stamp where I wanted it.






Step 6. Using the Stamparatus, I carefully stamped the leaf right over the Post It rose.





Step 7. Then I moved the stamp and positioned it on the other side of the rose, and stamped another set of leaves. You can see the leaves are stamped partially on the white paper and partially on the Post It note.





Step 8. When the Post It note mask is carefully removed, you see the finished result! 






Step 9. I began colouring using the lightest of the Stampin' Blends. This is light Old Olive.






Step 10. I added a second layer of light Old Olive on parts of the leaves to make them darker, and coloured the entire rose with light Polished Pink. The label on the marker is to make it easier for my ancient eyes to see the name!






Step 11. I added some dark Old Olive to the leaves, drawing in some veins and shadows. I also added another layer of light Polished Pink to where shadows should be, in the deeper parts of the petals. In general, the outermost parts of the leaves and petals should be lighter, and the undersides and deeper parts should be darker. Here are some examples from Unsplash.com.







Step 12. I used a bit of dark Polished Pink in the deepest petal shadows and I couldn't resist adding a tiny bit of dark Night of Navy in the deepest parts of the leaves. I let the marker ink dry for a few minutes.









Step 13. This is the finished image. I used the Color Lifter to lighten when I felt the highlight would be on the left upper leaf, and also where I put too much dark blue. I thought I'd better stop there before I keep colouring forever!






Here is a link to the video where I show how to colour this rose: 

How to Use Stampin' Blends/ Happiness Abounds/ Stampin' Up!



Product List
Stamparatus
$67.00
Stamparatus® Magnets
$16.50
Small Grid Paper
$9.00
Basic White 8 1/2" X 11" Cardstock
$14.00
Tuxedo Black Memento Ink Pad
$8.25
Happiness Abounds Bundle (English)
$68.25
Paper Snips
$15.00
Old Olive Stampin' Blends Combo Pack
$12.25
Polished Pink Stampin' Blends Combo Pack
$12.25
Stampin' Blends Color Lifter
$6.25
Night Of Navy Stampin' Blends Combo Pack
$12.25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment. I really appreciate it!